Our Volunteer Drivers Scheme is now launched!
We launched our Volunteer Drivers Scheme at an event hosted by Wythenshawe Football Club on 19 October (the clubhouse is also the venue for our Tuesday coffee mornings). The event was well attended by a wide range of local community organisations and individuals, along with representatives from our project funders, Manchester City Council and Wythenshawe Community Housing Group.
Guests watched a light-hearted video which showcased a trial journey with one of our Members, Chris. They also heard details about our new scheme and the positive impacts we anticipate it will have for older people in Wythenshawe. Our founder/volunteer director, Marie Greenhalgh was joined by the Executive Member for Vibrant Neighbourhoods, Councillor Lee-Ann Igbon, as speakers at the launch.
Guests were also given a WGN Volunteer Drivers Scheme Info Sheet.
This outlined the aims of our Volunteer Drivers Scheme:
- to provide an affordable / community-minded transport alternative to help WGN Members get from A to B locally
- to extend our aims of community relations and to reduce social and physical isolation.
The membership scheme is accessible to older people who may struggle to use public transport and/or to afford taxis. Membership is free for a 5-month pilot until end March 2024. It will be £10 per year after that.
We are keen to hear from you if you are:
- a Wythenshawe resident who is interested in becoming a WGN member to access the Volunteer Drivers Scheme and other benefits
- interested in becoming a Volunteer Driver. Details here: WGN Volunteer Drivers Needed Flyer
- an organisations with ideas about helping to support the scheme.
Interested? Telephone WGN: 0161 905 3898 or email Helen: email@example.com
WGN & its Volunteer Drivers Scheme is funded by:
Additional funding for WGN Volunteer Drivers Scheme from: